Monday 7 April 2014

Sunday April 6th, 2013: The Road from Bugarach to Tautavel

I am actually writing this post on monday as I was too tired after the day of driving to stay up and write a blog post last night. Yesterday, I drove the cyclists out to Bugarach which I didn't get an opportunity to take a picture of, however it is an amazing site and if you find yourself in the area I recommend this is a drive you take. Bugarach is the mountain that the aliens were supposed to land down on to save the worthy humans at the end of the world in 2012. The views along this trip are spectacular and we passed many a picturesque mountain side village dating back to the 11th and 12th centuries. What was really spectacular were the number of ruined Chateaux we passed. These tend to be up on the hills and only accessible by the adventurous hiker but perhaps I will make a point of trying to hike up to a few during my time off in the future. 
As beautiful as this drive is I must say some of the Mountain driving is by far the most challenging I have ever experienced and is not for the faint of heart. Several times on the road you drive under over hanging rocks and hug the mountain so as not to drift off the cliff into the gorge. There is barely enough room for to cars so when on coming traffic comes and there I am in the big van its blessed to just stop and let them go, this means constantly getting into first gear up or down incredibly steep roads and often on the curve of a major drop off. I think if I get anything out of this trip it'll be incredible driving skills. 
Tautavel was very interesting as well this was our main turn around town. Here they discovered caves with some of the oldest human bones and relics on the earth. They are continuing to excavate and there are museums where you can see much of what they have found. Unfortunately for me this group has been before and had no interest in stopping so this time around I didn't get to see the museum, but it is something I defiantly look forward to in the future. 















You can see some ruins if you look closely 








Thats the van I drive





 Again you can see some ruins if you look closely enough


You could see the Pyrenees on this drive, they were so clear and absolutely beautiful this here is the tallest mountain in the region, I can't think of the name but it sits at sea level so you can see the whole mountain in this photo




 More Ruins







These mountain towns with the Pyrenees are so beautiful its hard to not take photos of all of them and stop in each one













As you can see the weather was absolutely beautiful, I didn't take any photos of the mountain pass as I was very concentrated on not driving off a cliff but it was even more beautiful if you can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment